10 Shocking Sleep Facts You Didn’t Know

10 Shocking Sleep Facts You Didn’t Know

1. REM Sleep constitutes 20% of our total sleep time while the remaining 80% are non-REM sleep stages. 

how to sleep better

2. We dream 4-6 times per night but forget 95-99% of our dreams.

sleep better

3. 41% of adults prefer to sleep in the fetal position while only 8% sleep on their back, even though it’s the healthiest position.

best sleeping position

4. Falling asleep takes on average 10-15 minutes. If you pass out within a few minutes, it might mean you are sleep deprived.

sleep deprivation how to fix

5. Lack of sleep costs the United States over $411 Billion annually, reported by Fortune Magazine.

bad sleep makes you lose money

6. 40% of people aged 40 to 59 reported that they are getting less than recommended amounts of sleep.

how to cure insomnia in older people

7. 3-5% of obesity in adults could be caused by a lack of sleep.

how obesity affects sleep

8. The population of Hawaii has the shortest sleep duration (54%) while South Dakota has the highest (72%).

sleep in hawaii

9. 4-9% of middle-aged men and 2-4% of women suffer from sleep apnea.

how to treat sleep apnea

10. 9 Million Americans take prescription drugs to help them fall asleep.

how to fall asleep without sleeping pills

 

Make sure you make an effort to get a good night's rest everyday!

 

References and Sources

(1) What Happens to Your Body When You Sleep?, WebMD

(2) How Often Do We Dream?, Sleep

(3) The Best Sleep Position for Your Body, Sleep

(4) How Long to Fall Asleep, SleepAdvisor 

(5) Lack of Sleep Costs U.S. About $411 Billion in Lost Productivity, Study Finds, Fortune Magazine

(6) In U.S., 40% Get Less Than Recommended Amount of Sleep, Gallup News

(7) Sleep Deprivation and Obesity, Harvard | School of Public Health

(8) 1 in 3 adults don’t get enough sleep, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

(9) The Epidemiology of Adult Obstructive Sleep Apnea, National Center for Biotechnology Information

(10) Sleepless in the states: Nearly 9 million pop pills for shut-eye, NBC News